The TV show What We Do In The Shadows came highly recommended by friends and the Hulu front page. After giving in and binge-watching the series in a week, we were hooked and have become major fans. We even dressed up as characters from the show for Halloween this year. The show was created and based on the movie What We Do In The Shadows. To continue our fandom we decided to rent the movie to see if it is as good as the show. But first, enjoy this comforting baked spaghetti.
Baked Spaghetti (recipe from AllRecipes.com)
- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (32 ounce) jar meatless spaghetti sauce
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese, divided
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti in boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite. Drain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir beef and onion until meat is browned and onions are soft and translucent. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt.
- Whisk eggs, Parmesan cheese, and butter in a large bowl. Mix in spaghetti to egg mixture and toss to coat. Place half the spaghetti mixture into the baking dish. Top with half the cottage cheese, mozzarella, and meat sauce. Repeat layers. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
What We Do In The Shadows (7.7 IMDb; 96% Rotten Tomatoes)
“Viago, Deacon and Vladislav are vampires who are finding that modern life has them struggling with the mundane – like paying rent, keeping up with the chore wheel, trying to get into nightclubs and overcoming flatmate conflicts.” – IMDb
Normally, the vampire world is kept on the down-low, but lucky for us a documentary crew in New Zealand has been granted exclusive access to a group of vampire roommates as they go about their lives and prepare for the annual Unholy Masquerade. This group of vampires have been around for hundreds of years but are clearly (and hilariously) struggling to adjust to modern life. I am a big fan of the mockumentary style, but for a while there it felt like everyone was jumping on that bandwagon. But by making it fantastical, this movie, and the currently-airing show, bring that style new life. Watch this movie, watch the TV show on FX/Hulu, and then let’s chat. I need more people to love WWDITS like I do.
Haley’s one Gif to describe What We Do In The Shadows:
Ryan: The mockumentary style with vampires may seem strange and it is, but damn do they deliver the comedic content. The movie takes extraordinary ‘creatures’ (Vampires) and adds a twist of the same struggles we ‘normal’ humans experience. From shitty roommates to trying to fit in society. If you are a fan of The Office, Parks and Rec, or just enjoy laughing in general then you need to watch What We Do In The Shadows the movie and TV show. Do you need to watch the movie first? No, as they portray a different cast and story in each; however, the movie cast does appear throughout the TV series.
Ryan’s one Gif to describe What We Do In The Shadows:
What We Do In The Shadows can be rented on Amazon Prime Video.