Do you like meaningless stats, trends, and talking points? I do. So much so that I’m going to bring a handful to you each week this football season in a blurb titled “Cy the Numbers” because the best way to introduce pointless stats is with corny puns. Check back each week for updated stats and trends, and remember not to use any of this as betting advice because I’m sure to be sued if you did.
- Iowa State is 4-0 against Texas Tech in the Matt Campbell era.
- The Cyclones have outscored the Red Raiders by 93 points over the past four seasons.
- Iowa State is 11-1 in the month of October since the 2017 season.
- The Cyclones are 8-1 in their last eight Big 12 home games.
- Kickoff will be at 2:30 p.m. The Cyclones are 8-6 in early afternoon games under Campbell.
- Iowa State will wear white helmets, red jerseys, and white pants on Saturday. The Cyclones beat a Patrick Mahomes-led Red Raiders team 66-10 the first time they wore the combo and wore it again in the 40-31 win against Texas Tech in 2018. They have never worn the combo against any other opponent under Campbell.
- Running back Breece Hall currently ranks 3rd nationally in rushing yards per game (132.0) and rushing touchdowns (6), which leads the Big 12. He took home Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week honors last week for his 139-yard, 2 touchdown performance against Oklahoma. Hall’s career best rushing performance came against Texas Tech last year, where he rushed for 183 yards and 3 touchdowns on 19 carries.
- Running back and kick returner Kene Nwangwu currently ranks 1st in school history in career kickoff return average (26.8 yards per return). It’s the 3rd-best active total in the NCAA.
- Quarterback Brock Purdy is 2nd on the ISU career total touchdowns list (59) and needs just three more to tie Bret Meyer for 1st. He’s also 2nd in ISU career touchdown passes (45) and needs just five more to tie Bret Meyer for 1st. Purdy has also never turned the ball over in the red zone to go along with 37 career touchdowns.
- Kicker Connor Assalley has made 11 consecutive field goals, tied for the 2nd-longest streak in school history. The record is 15.
- The last time Iowa State had a 200-yard rusher was Mike Warren when he ran for 245 yards against Texas Tech in 2014. The next season, Joel Lanning tied the school record for rushing touchdowns in a game with 5 against the Texas Tech defense. Last year, Purdy set a school record for passing yards in a half with 308 yards against the Red Raiders.
- The Red Raiders currently rank 71st out of 74 teams in passing yards allowed per game
- This game will feature two of the greatest statistical quarterbacks in the nation. Alan Bowman ranks 1st nationally in career total yardage among active players at 317.9 per game, while Purdy ranks 4th with 286.1 per game.
- It will also feature two of the greatest tackle for loss leaders in the nation. Colin Schooler ranks 1st nationally in career tackles for loss among active players with 46 while JaQuan Bailey ranks 4th with 37.5.
- Iowa State currently has 11 sacks as a team, which ranks 12th nationally and leads the Big 12. The school record for sacks in a season is 33 (2018 in 13 games).
- Brock Purdy is now 13-5 against league opponents in his career, which is an ISU record. From 2011 to 2016, Iowa State had six different starting quarterbacks. They went a combined 12-42 in league games.
- The Cyclones are 2-0 in Big 12 play for just the second time in school history. With a win, they can tie the 2002 team for the best start in a Big 12 season in school history (3-0).
Leave a Reply