Do you like meaningless stats, trends, and talking points? I do. So much so that I’m going to bring a handful to you each week this football season in a blurb titled “Cy the Numbers” because the best way to introduce pointless stats is with corny puns. Check back each week for updated stats and trends, and remember not to use any of this as betting advice because I’m sure to be sued if you did.
- Iowa State has never beat Oklahoma in Jack Trice Stadium. The Cyclones haven’t beaten the Sooners at home since 1960, giving Oklahoma a 23-game win streak in Ames. The Cyclones have 3 wins in Norman in that same period.
- The Sooners have won 2 of the last 3 contests against the Cyclones, with just a +4 total point differential. Neither team has won by more than 10 points in the Matt Campbell era.
- Iowa State is 10-1 in the month of October since the 2017 season
- The Cyclones are 7-1 in their last eight Big 12 home games.
- Kickoff will be at 6:30 p.m. The Cyclones are just 3-10 in night games under Campbell.
- The forecast predicts it to be about 50 degrees at kickoff. The Cyclones are 15-5 in games where the temperature is below 60 degrees Fahrenheit
- Iowa State will wear all black on Saturday, which has become a tradition against anticipated opponents in night games at Jack Trice Stadium. The Cyclones have worn black-black-black three times, going 3-0 in those games (vs. #6 West Virginia in 2017, vs. Kansas State in 2018, and vs. #19 Texas in 2019).
- Running back Breece Hall recorded his 6th career 100-yard rushing performance and has recorded 100+ yards from scrimmage in 9 of his last 10 games. Hall currently ranks 3rd nationally in rushing yards per game (128.5), which leads the Big 12.
- Defensive end JaQuan Bailey broke the ISU career sack record (22.0) by tying the ISU single game sack record with 3.5 against TCU. He also holds the ISU career tackles for loss record with 36.5. Bailey was named co-Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against TCU. Bailey currently ranks 2nd among active NCAA players in career sacks.
- Quarterback Brock Purdy is now tied with Austen Arnaud for second on the ISU career total touchdowns list (57 total touchdowns). He needs just one passing touchdown to tie Sam Richardson for second in ISU career touchdown passes list (45). Purdy has also has 0 career turnovers in the red zone to go along with 36 career touchdowns. Purdy currently owns 21 school records.
- Kicker Connor Assalley has made eight consecutive field goals, tied for the fifth-most in school history
- Punter Joe Rivera ranks 10th nationally in punt average (46.7 yards) with 4 of his 10 punts going for 50+ yards.
- Purdy set the school record for passing touchdowns against the Sooners last season with 5. He also had a rushing touchdown to tie the school record for total touchdowns in a game with 6.
- Iowa State currently has 9.0 sacks as a team. The school record for sacks in a season is 33 (2018 in 13 games). At the current pace of 4.5 sacks per game, the Cyclones will break the record in 8 games.
- Iowa State is looking to start the Big 12 season 2-0 for the second time since the conference was formed in 1996. The Cyclones started 3-0 in Big 12 play in 2002.
- Iowa State and Oklahoma have never played an overtime game.
Leave a Reply