Do you like meaningless stats, trends, and talking points? I do. So much so that I’m going to bring a handful to you each week this football season in a blurb titled “Cy the Numbers” because the best way to introduce pointless stats is with corny puns. Check back each week for updated stats and trends, and remember not to use any of this as betting advice because I’m sure to be sued if you did.
- Iowa State has beat Kansas in 5 consecutive games, including a 4-0 mark under Matt Campbell
- The Cyclones have won 9 of the last 10 in the series.
- Kansas is 0-5 on the season and currently ranks 115th by Sagarin, 118th by FPI, and 119th by SP+.
- Iowa State is 12-2 in the month of October since the 2017 season.
- Kickoff will be at 11:00 a.m. The Cyclones are 13-5 in games that kickoff before noon since 2017.
- Iowa State will wear red helmets, white jerseys, and white pants on Saturday. The Cyclones are 2-1 in this combo under Campbell.
- Running back Breece Hall ran for a career-high 185 yards against Oklahoma State and now ranks 1st nationally in rushing yards per game (143.2). He leads the Big 12 in the following categories:
- Rushing yards per game (143.2)
- Rushing yards (716)
- Rushing touchdowns (9); 3rd nationally
- Total touchdowns (9)
- Scoring (54)
- 100-yard games (5); 1st nationally
- Rushes of 20+ yards (7)
- Rushes of 65+ yards (3); 1st nationally
- Multi-touchdown games (3)
- First down rushes (32)
- Yards after contact (400)
- Missed tackles (25)
- Hall has just one fumble in 332 career touches.
- Running back and kick returner Kene Nwangwu currently ranks 1st in school history in career kickoff return average (26.9 yards per return). It’s the 4th-best active total in the NCAA.
- Quarterback Brock Purdy now holds the ISU career total touchdowns record (63), passing Bret Meyer last week with 2 touchdowns against Oklahoma State. He’s also 2nd in ISU career touchdown passes (48) and needs just two more to tie Bret Meyer for 1st. Purdy has never turned the ball over in the red zone to go along with 4 career touchdowns.
- Tight end Charlie Kolar now has 1,022 receiving yards, becoming only the 3rd Iowa State tight end to amass 1,000 yards receiving.
- ISU is ranked #23 in the AP Poll this week. It is the 5th time they will play as the #23 team in the Campbell era (currently 1-3 in such games).
- The Cyclones are 6-4 against unranked opponents when ranked in the Matt Campbell era.
- Brock Purdy holds the school record for passing yards against Kansas, throwing for 372 yards against the Jayhawks last season.
- ISU is averaging 6.7 yards per play against Big 12 opponents, ranking first in the conference.
- Iowa State has rushed for 200 yards in back-to-back games for the first time since 2016. Kansas is currently allowing 207.6 rushing yards per game.
- Iowa State has played defense on the first drive of every game this season.
Leave a Reply