Whether you’re exhausted from being cooped up in your house, trying to keep your kids from killing each other, working long hours, or just dealing with life right now — you could use some happy new tunes to bliss out to. Our girl Sylvia June brings you recently released albums that promise to deliver.
All of our favorite musicians are taking a hit right now due to the coronavirus pandemic, especially awesome, lesser-known bands who depend on touring and performing to make their living. Please support music makers any way you can — buy their albums online, support them on Patreon, Venmo them cash. Whatever. Music is one of the best outlets we have to get through this without losing our minds, and what they have given us is a blessing!
Release Date: March 13, 2020
Why I Like It: This album was recommended by fellow TGS member Jason Mitchell, whose recent article “No School, No Problem,” is a must read if you have kids at home with you during this pandemic craziness. ROOKIE is a relatively new Chicago indie band with a groovy 70s classic rock vibe. Their self-titled debut album is upbeat, with more than a few references to their hometown. Listening to it just makes me happy.
Top 3 Songs:
- “I Can’t Have You But I Want You” — It tangentially reminds me of Cake’s “Short Skirt Long Jacket.” ” She’s got that television but there’s no TV Guide / She’s flipping through, getting off/ She’s got to survive.”
- “Side of the Road” — When love comes full circle to kick your ass and you write a very radio-friendly hit about it.
- “Michigan” — A great song that makes me very nostalgic for the days when I lived near Chicago and Lake Michigan.
Honorable Mention: “One Way Ticket” — I feel like I should be listening to this song while riding the El home from work.
Release Date: Jan. 1, 2020
Why I Like It: Hailing from Los Angeles, this country-rock trio describes themselves as the “hardest working band ever.” They very well might be, considering they played more than 300 gigs in one year to make it through the 2008 recession. “Ain’t Dead Yet” is their 5th album, and they are still writing amazing songs. I honestly can’t believe they aren’t better known.
Top 3 Songs:
- “Home” — As the first track on this album, this love song reels you in right away with a sweetness that you’ll want to get up and dance to. “I just wanna go home with you, it doesn’t matter what we do / we’ll lie in bed and reach for stars, it doesn’t matter where we are / Just you and me alone, together we’ll be home.”
- “Darlin'” — A great track about all the things they can go without, except your love tonight.
- “My Hotel” — “There may be secrets I keep / But most times I wear my heart on my sleeve / If walls could talk then they would tell / I make the bed at my hotel.”
Honorable Mention: “Shoulda Coulda Woulda” — The what-ifs in a relationship can be the hardest.