Editors Note: I tasked some of the baseball minds of TGS to write a Major League Baseball Preview asking them to answer these questions. Hope you enjoy them.
Please check out others pieces as well
Matthias Schwartzkopf’s is here.
Tom Danielson’s is here.
Lindsey Schoon’s is HERE
Nicole Gustafson’s is here.
David Graf’s is here.
Shawn Fensterman’s is here
1.Who will win the divisions?
AL East – Boston
AL Central – Cleveland
AL West – Houston
NL East – Washington
NL Central – St. Louis, in a Game 163 over the Cubs.
NL West – Los Angeles
2. Who will be the Wild Card Teams?
AL – New York and Minnesota. The Twins will be the surprise of the playoffs and advance to the ALCS.
NL – Chicago and Arizona. Paul Goldschmidt walks it off with a grand slam.
3. Who plays in the World Series and who wins?
Cleveland over Washington in 6. Northeast Ohio gets something to celebrate again after LeBron leaves them for the Lakers.
4. Who are your League MVP’s?
AL – Giancarlo Stanton. The dude is going to rake, in pinstripes.
NL – Bryce Harper. This one won’t be close, as Harper will lead the Nats to the most wins in baseball this season.
5. Who are your League Cy Young winners?
AL – Jose Berrios. Going with a bit of a dark horse here, but Berrios is going to show off some filthy stuff for a surprising Twins team this year.
NL – Clayton Kershaw. He’s the man. That’s it.
6. If you could put any fictional baseball player on your favorite team, who would it be and why?
Pedro Cerrano from Major League. I’m already excited to see Marcell Ozuna for the Cardinals this year. Add Cerrano to that outfield and watch the ball fly. Just no curveballs.
7. Give me three bold predictions.
- The Cubs will blow a substantial NL Central lead down the stretch and end up losing the division late, because I said say so, that’s why.
- Based on Vegas odds, Kansas City is expected to be one of the worst teams in baseball, better than only Miami. The Royals won’t make the playoffs, but they will be respectable and maybe even hang around the wild card race.
- Yadier Molina, already baseball’s most durable player with 14 straight years now as Opening Day starter for the same team (longest active streak), will have one of the best seasons of his Hall of Fame career. (Maybe I’m biased on this one, too.)
8. What are your top three baseball movies and one you dislike the most?
- Field of Dreams (Is this heaven? No, it’s Iowa)
- Major League (I guess there’s only one thing left to do…)
- The Sandlot are a pretty easy top three.
As for worst, I’ll go with Fever Pitch just because it celebrates the Red Sox beating the Cardinals in the World Series and I can’t stand for that.
9, Baseball has decided to honor Latin American players by wearing special hats and jerseys in the minor leagues this season. which of the new team logos and hats are your favorite?
I want to go with the Durham Toros here because the logo is awesome and I have a soft spot for my old city, but the Brooklyn Jefes is an unbeatable team name and the hat is fantastic.