Do you like meaningless stats, trends, and talking points? I do. So much so that I’m going to bring a handful to you each week this football season in a blurb titled “Cy the Numbers” because the best way to introduce pointless stats is with corny puns. Check back each week for updated stats and trends, and remember not to use any of this as betting advice because I’m sure to be sued if you did.
- Iowa State is 2-2 against Baylor in the Matt Campbell era.
- Recent contests against the Bears have been full of drama. In 2016, the Bears made a furious comeback to beat the Cyclones on a last-second field goal to win 45-42. In 2018, the Cyclones won fairly comfortably, but a third quarter brawl resulted in ejections from both teams and high tensions. Last year’s contest was on a scorching hot day, and the Cyclones’ sideline tents were not approved, leaving the team exposed to 100+ degree temps all game. Baylor would go on to win on a last-minute field goal, 23-21.
- Baylor has cancelled/postponed two games this season because they continue to struggle following rules.
- The Cyclones are 8-8 in the month of November under Campbell.
- With a 6 p.m. kickoff, this will be the second night game of the season (win against #19 Oklahoma). The Cyclones are 4-6 in night games since 2017.
- Iowa State will wear black helmets, black jerseys, and white pants. This is the first time Iowa State has worn this combination, the 20th unique uniform combo under Matt Campbell. The Cyclones are 5-0 when wearing the black jersey.
- Running back Breece Hall continues his dominance, rushing for a career-high-tying 185 yards for the second week in a row. Here is the short list of categories he is currently dominating:
|Rushing per game||150.2||1st||1st|
|Rushes of 50+ yards||4||1st||1st|
|Rushes of 20+ yards||9||1st||3rd|
|Yards after contact||525||1st||4th|
|Yards per carry||6.72||1st||5th|
|First down rushes||39||1st||5th|
|Missed tackles forced||31||1st||10th|
- Hall has just one fumble in 356 career touches.
- Running back and kick returner Kene Nwangwu currently ranks 1st in school history in career kickoff return average (26.7 yards per return) and is 10th nationally this season in kickoff return average (29.0 ypr).
- Quarterback Brock Purdy is now tied with Bret Meyer for the ISU career passing touchdowns record with 50. Purdy has now set or tied 23 school records. He has also never turned the ball over in the red zone to go along with 43 career red zone touchdowns.
- Defensive end JaQuan Bailey is dominating on defense this season, ranking 2nd in the Big 12 in sacks (5.0) and tackles for loss (11.0), which is also 3rd nationally. He also has a forced fumble, fumble recovery, and two passes defended.
- The Cyclones are ranked #17 heading into this game, marking the 5th time Iowa State will play as a ranked team this season. Iowa State has won 3-straight games against unranked teams.
- Iowa State has started conference play 4-1 for the 2nd time in school history (2017). A win would give the Cyclones the first 5-1 start in league play in school history.
- Iowa State’s offense continues to lead the Big 12 in yards per play with 6.9.
- Iowa State rushed for a season-high 258 yards against Kansas. They have rushed for 200+ yards four times this season. Baylor currently ranks 70th in rushing defense, allowing 177.3 yards per game.
- Iowa State is currently ranked 26th nationally in red zone defense, only allowing scores on 76.5% of possessions. Baylor ranks 91st in red zone offense, scoring on only 71.4% of their appearances.