Do you like meaningless stats, trends, and talking points? I do. So much so that I’m going to bring a handful to you each week this football season in a blurb titled “Cy the Numbers” because the best way to introduce pointless stats is with corny puns. Check back each week for updated stats and trends, and remember not to use any of this as betting advice because I’m sure to be sued if you did.
- Iowa State is 1-3 against Oklahoma State in the Matt Campbell era.
- The last five contests against the Cowboys have been decided by 7 points or less.
- Oklahoma State is ranked #6 in the AP Poll. Campbell is 3-1 against top-6 teams at Iowa State.
- Iowa State is 12-1 in the month of October since the 2017 season.
- Kickoff will be at 2:30 p.m. The Cyclones are 9-6 in early afternoon games under Campbell and have won their last 3 such games.
- Iowa State will wear white helmets, white jerseys, and red pants on Saturday. The Cyclones are 2-2 in this combo under Campbell, defeating #3 Oklahoma in 2017 and #25 Oklahoma State in Brock Purdy’s first start in 2018. The Cyclones have lost their last two contests in this combo (2019 vs. #9 Oklahoma, 2018 vs. #13 Texas).
- Running back Breece Hall currently ranks 2nd nationally in rushing yards per game (132.8) and rushing touchdowns (8). He leads the Big 12 in the following categories:
- Rushing yards per game (132.8)
- Rushing yards (531)
- Rushing touchdowns (8)
- Total touchdowns (8)
- Scoring (48)
- 100-yard games (4)
- Multi-touchdown games (3)
- First down rushes (28)
- Yards after contact (297)
- Missed tackles (22)
- Hall has just one fumble in 308 career touches.
- Running back and kick returner Kene Nwangwu currently ranks 1st in school history in career kickoff return average (26.9 yards per return). It’s the 3rd-best active total in the NCAA.
- Quarterback Brock Purdy is 2nd on the ISU career total touchdowns list (61) and needs just one more to tie Bret Meyer for 1st. He’s also 2nd in ISU career touchdown passes (47) and needs just three more to tie Bret Meyer for 1st. Purdy has also never turned the ball over in the red zone to go along with 39 career touchdowns.
- Matt Campbell broke the Iowa State coaching record for most weeks featured in the AP Poll with 15.
- This will be the fifth AP top-25 matchup in the Campbell era. This will be the highest cumulative ranking (#6 and #17) in a top-25 matchup since Campbell has arrived.
- This is the highest cumulative AP ranking in an FBS game this weekend.
- ISU is averaging 7.0 yards per play against Big 12 opponents, ranking first in the conference.
- This game will feature two of the best rushing defenses in the nation with ISU holding opponents to 2.9 yards per rush (12th nationally) and allowing just two rushing touchdowns this year (7th nationally). Oklahoma State has allowed just 2.5 yards per rush (6th nationally) and allowed just one rushing touchdown (2nd nationally).
- Iowa State currently has 13 sacks as a team, which ranks 12th nationally. The school record for sacks in a season is 33 (2018 in 13 games).
- The Cyclones are 3-0 in Big 12 play for just the second time in school history, tying the 2002 team. No Iowa State team has ever started 4-0 in league play.
- ISU has beat 9 ranked teams on the road in school history. 3 of those wins have come since 2017.
- The Cyclones are 21-2 when leading at halftime since 2017.