Do you like meaningless stats, trends, and talking points? I do. So much so that I’m going to bring a handful to you each week this football season in a blurb titled “Cy the Numbers” because the best way to introduce pointless stats is with corny puns. Check back each week for updated stats and trends and remember not use any of this as betting advice because I’m sure to be sued if you did.
- The Cyclones are 0-4 in Big 12 openers under Campbell. The Cyclones have opened the Big 12 season with a win just once since 2003 (win vs. Kansas, 2015).
- Iowa State has beat TCU in 2 of their last 3 contests, with the only loss being on a last-second field goal on the road in 2018.
- The Cyclones are 8-5 in their last 13 Big 12 road games.
- The Cyclones kick off against the Horned Frogs at 12:30 p.m. CT on Saturday. This will mark the 4th time in the Matt Campbell era that Iowa State has kicked off between the traditional 11:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. kickoff slots. The Cyclones are 3-0 in such games.
- Amon G. Carter Stadium is one of three Big 12 stadiums with natural grass. The Cyclones are 15-9 on natural playing surfaces since 2017.
- Iowa State will wear red helmets, white jerseys, and red pants against the Horned Frogs. They’ve worn this combination three times in the Campbell era with a 1-2 record (loss @ TCU, 2016; loss @ Iowa, 2018; win at WVU, 2019).
- As stated in last week’s Cy the Numbers, Iowa State was 19-1 since 2017 when leading at halftime. They are now 19-2.
- Iowa State hadn’t lost a game by more than 14 points in 39 consecutive games from 2017 to the end of the regular season in 2019. They’ve now lost two in a row by 17 or more.
- Brock Purdy hasn’t scored a touchdown (passing or rushing) since the 2nd quarter of last year’s Kansas State game. That’s 10 consecutive quarters without a score.
- Iowa State has actually out-gained their opponent on offense in 3 of their last 7 losses.
- The ISU defense held Louisiana to 272 yards of offense, making it the 11th time they’ve held an opponent under 300 yards since 2017. The Cyclones held opponents to 300 yards or less just 11 times from 2007 to 2016 (10 seasons).
- Breece Hall recorded his 5th career 100-yard rushing performance and has recorded 100+ yards from scrimmage in 8 of his last 9 games.
- JaQuan Bailey (still) will break the ISU career sack record with a sack. He currently shares the record with Shawn Morehead at 18.5, which is third among active FBS players.
- Brock Purdy (still) needs just one touchdown (passing or rushing) to tie Austen Arnaud for second on the ISU career total touchdowns list (57 total touchdowns). He needs just two passing touchdowns to tie Sam Richardson for second in ISU career touchdown passes list (45 passing touchdowns.
- Kicker Connor Assalley has made seven consecutive field goals, tied for the ninth-most in school history
- Despite the final score, ISU’s defense continued its dominant streak. Special teams allowed kickoff and punt return for touchdowns, meaning only 17 points were allowed by the defense against an offense currently ranked 26th in efficiency nationally by SP+ and finished last season ranked 10th in scoring offense. The 118 rushing yards was the lowest total Louisiana had posted since 2018.
- Brock Purdy’s best career rushing game came against TCU last season, scampering for 102 yards and 2 touchdowns to go with his 247 yards passing and 2 passing touchdowns.
- The Cyclones are now 0-1 in games with no fans in attendance.
Leave a Reply