Do you like meaningless stats, trends, and talking points? I do. So much so that I’m going to bring a handful to you each week this football season in a blurb titled “Cy the Numbers” because the best way to introduce pointless stats is with corny puns. Check back each week for updated stats and trends and remember not use any of this as betting advice because I’m sure to be sued if you did.
- The Cyclones are 13-4 in 11 a.m. kickoffs since 2017
- The Cyclones are 8-1 against non-Power 5 opponents under Matt Campbell
- They are also 3-0 against Sun Belt opponents, including the 72-20 win against Louisiana-Monroe last season
- The Cyclones are just 6-10 in September games under Campbell
- This is the fourth time Iowa State has been ranked #23 in the AP Poll under Campbell. They are 1-2 in those games (win vs. Baylor in 2017, loss vs. Oklahoma State in 2019, loss at KSU in 2019)
- Iowa State will wear all-red this weekend (red helmets, jerseys, and pants), which is their most common home uniform combination. They have a 5-3 record wearing red-red-red since 2017.
- The Cyclones are 19-1 since 2017 when leading at halftime. They are just 4-15 when tied or trailing.
- Iowa State has won 76.5% of its games since 2017 when scoring the first touchdown
- Under Campbell, the Cyclones have averaged just 19.5 points in regulation in season openers. Louisiana was #10 in the nation in scoring offense last season at 37.9 points per game.
- With a sack (or assisted sack), JaQuan Bailey will break the ISU career sack record. He currently shares the record with Shawn Morehead at 18.5, which is third among active FBS players.
- Brock Purdy needs just one touchdown (passing or rushing) to tie Austen Arnaud for second on the ISU career total touchdowns list (57 total touchdowns). He needs just two passing touchdowns to tie Sam Richardson for second in ISU career touchdown passes list (45 passing touchdowns.
- Kicker Connor Assalley has made seven consecutive field goals, tied for the ninth-most in school history
- There will be no tailgating this year due to a pandemic, but if it was allowed, an entire week of rainfall would have certainly closed the grass lots this weekend. That would mean 10 of the last 15 home game tailgates would have been affected by weather.
- Did you know Brock Purdy has scored 35 touchdowns, but has never turned the ball over in the red zone? Now you do, and it’s all you’re going to think about when he inevitably turns the ball over in the red zone against Louisiana.